Safely discard your cigarettes
Smokers are being reminded to be careful when discarding cigarette butts.
Courtenay Fire Department crews were recently called out to a bark mulch fire that was started by a cigarette.
Deputy Fire Chief Kurt McDonald says it’s important to ensure cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
McDonald says it’s also a good idea to try to keep mulch and yard waste away from buildings.
McDonald says this situation is a good reminder that we’re entering into the time of year when brush will start to dry out quickly and residents need to be cautious with any activity that could spark a fire.