Flooding update from City of Courtenay
A State of Emergency was declared in the City of Courtenay today (Tuesday, December 9) and will continue due to flooding and the ongoing adverse weather and high tides.
Emergency Management BC and BC Hydro advise that the risk of flooding will continue through Thursday, December 11. The City of Courtenay is working closely with these agencies as we deal with the impacts of flooding.
They have advised that we are dealing with a major flood event, potentially eclipsing the floods that occurred here in 2009 and 2010.
There are closures due to flooding in some low-lying areas of Courtenay. At this time, the following are closed:
These roads will remain closed overnight, as the water levels remain high and tides continue to be a concern.
• Comox Road CLOSED from Highway 19A bypass (by Kia dealership) to Headquarters Rd.
• 5th Street Bridge CLOSED
• Dove Creek Road at the Dove Creek Bridge CLOSED
• Puntledge Road & Tsolum Road CLOSED
Please obey traffic control signage and/or traffic control personnel.
• The Lewis Centre is CLOSED and will remain closed on Wednesday, December 10
• The LINC Youth Centre is CLOSED and will remain closed on Wednesday, December 10
• The Courtenay Riverway / Airpark Walkway is CLOSED
• The Rotary Riverside Trail has been CLOSED since late November due to a slope failure
We will post updates on the City website at www.courtenay.ca and on the City of Courtenay Facebook and Twitter channels as they become available.