City Cannabis applies to open non-medical cannabis store in Comox Mall
COMOX, B.C. – A company has come forward in a bid to open the Town of Comox’s first ever retail non-medical cannabis store.
City Cannabis Corp. is looking at setting up shop in the Comox Mall.
Town planners are recommending that staff gather input from residents on the store through newspaper advertising and a mail-out delivery to residents and tenants within 75 metres of the subject property.
The subject property is zoned as core commercial, including a cannabis store on the condition that it:
- not exceed 500 square metres in floor area;
- is located a minimum of 250 metres from any other recreational cannabis store; and
- specifically, at 215 Port Augusta Street, be located a minimum of 50 metres from a liquor store
The Provincial Liquor and Cannabis Branch has referred to the Town for comment on the store, and can’t issue a license unless the local government provides a referral response that recommends the license be issued.
Should council decide to respond to the referral, it must include comment on the following:
- Council’s consideration on the location of the store;
- Council’s views on the general impact on the community if the application is approved;
- the views of residents a description of how the residents’ views were gathered; and
- Council’s recommendations as to whether the application should be approved or rejected, and the reasons upon which the recommendation is based.
Council will be discussing the matter tonight during their regular meeting.