NewsComox Valley Sports Centre reopened after ammonia leak SHARE ON: Patrick Grapes, staff Friday, Sep. 13th, 2019 Comox Valley Regional District logo (supplied by the CVRD)The Comox Valley Sports Centre is open today following an ammonia leak.A high-level alarm went off yesterday evening. The CVRD says staff responded immediately. The building was evacuated, its plant was turned off and first responders were called.An investigation was done and the leak was found in a high pressure cut out at the safety monitor in the ammonia system. Refrigeration specialists inspected the system once the situation was resolved and deemed the facility safe to open.“Our staff at the facility are well trained and responded to the situation immediately to ensure the safety of the public and staff,” said Jesse Ketler, Chair of the Comox Valley Sports Commission. “We thank all first responders who attended the scene, as well as the patrons who followed directions and evacuated the facility quickly. Because of the good decisions of all involved, this situation was quickly and safely resolved.”The district says the ammonia system was serviced back in July and its maintenance is up-to-date. There’s now going to be a follow-up investigation by Technical Safety BC and WorkSafe which is standard anytime an ammonia alarm goes off.