Some Comox Valley outdoor recreation facilities re-opening this Thursday
Photo by Markus Spiske temporausch.com from Pexels
The Comox Valley Regional District says after careful preparation and planning, a limited number of outdoor recreation facilities will be re-opening this week.
CVRD Board Chair and Emergency Operations Center Spokesperson, Jesse Ketler says the facilities re-opening classify as “low risk” and give us the opportunity to get outside.
“We understand the importance of safe, outdoor recreation spaces for our communities during this time, and echo the Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry’s encouragement to spend time outside,” explains Ketler.
“Local governments are working together to carefully reopen some of our outdoor facilities that allow for low-risk activities which can be enjoyed while still following social distancing measures. I’d like to thank residents for their continued cooperation and for supporting the safety of our Comox Valley communities.”
The CVRD says the following facilities will reopen this Thursday:
City of Courtenay
- Martin Park Lacrosse/Pickleball Courts
- Lewis Park Tennis Courts
- Lewis Park Outdoor Skate Park
- LINC Youth Centre Basketball Courts
- Valley View Outdoor Skate Park
Town of Comox
- Tennis Courts at Anderton Park
- Tennis Courts at Community Centre
- Pickleball Courts at Highland Rotary Courts
- Outdoor Hockey Box at Highland Fields
- Comox Village Disc Golf Course
Village of Cumberland
- Skatepark and Jump Park at Village Park
- Tennis and Basketball Courts at Village Park
- Off-leash Dog Park at Village Park
- Cumberland Trailhead Parking Lots
- Coal Creek Disc Golf Course in Cumberland remains open
Comox Valley Regional District
- Pinecrest Park Bike Par
- Goose Spit Stairs (One-way uphill only. Please detour downhill via Yates and Hawkins Roads)
The regional district says indoor recreation facilities and outdoor playgrounds will remain closed, pending further updates and direction from the Ministry of Health and Worksafe BC.
The CVRD’s Beach Fire Program is also suspended, along with special events and organized group sports such as soccer, rugby, baseball, and basketball leagues.
Visit www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/covid19 for the most up-to-date information on recreation areas and facilities in the Comox Valley.