Island Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Glacier View Lodge in Courtenay
Front entry to the Glacier View Lodge. (Photo provided by Glacier View Lodge, Facebook)
Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Glacier View Lodge long-term care home in Courtenay.
The health authority says one staff member has tested positive for the virus and at this time, but no residents are experiencing symptoms.
It adds that communication with residents and families is underway.
Island Health also says the outbreak is limited to two wings within the facility.
Enhanced control measures have been put in place and the health authority is working with the lodge and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed.
Island Health says the following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Admissions will be restricted while the outbreak is in effect.
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care.
- Visitors are currently restricted throughout the facility to only essential visitors.
- Staff and resident movement in the facility has been restricted.
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced.
- Residents, families and staff are being notified.
- Twice a day screening of all staff and residents.
- COVID-19 testing will be done for staff and residents who worked with the affected staff member.
During this time, Island Health will have an additional presence at the site to take any further actions required, support the facility and answer questions from staff, residents, and family members.