Listen Live
HomeNewsNIC plays host to Vietnamese delegation

NIC plays host to Vietnamese delegation

NIC is one of four post-secondary institutions across Canada to host Vietnamese post-secondary leaders and government decision makers charged with transforming Vietnam’s education system.

As a result, NIC programs and technology could shape how post-secondary education is delivered in Vietnam.

“We want to experience a mid-sized college with a diverse population and a strong reputation,” said Dr. Le Quang Minh, the Director of the Institute of University, Governance, for Vietnam National University. “In Vietnam, post-secondary education is still very passive. In most classrooms the teacher does all the talking. We want to develop new ways of teaching to encourage interactive learning.”

Delegates toured the Comox Valley and Campbell River campuses May 12, learning about NIC’s award-winning educational technologies, applied research facilities, industry advisory groups, and wide-ranging partnerships with universities across BC and the United States.

- Advertisement -

“We were also impressed with North Island College’s distance education facilities,” added Dr. Minh. “In Vietnam, our situation is very similar. We have one college delivering education across a whole province – it would be very useful to apply the technology in Vietnam.”

The meeting included lively discussion about NIC’s tourism students’ annual wine festivals, international field schools, and student-run hotel events – just a few of the applied learning opportunities available to NIC students.

“We are very, very interested in the real world experiences you provide for students to work in resorts and hotels,” said Tran Thanh Tung, the Rector of Vinh Long Community College. “We have colleges in Vietnam that are very similar and we want to provide students the same opportunities.”

NIC does not currently have partnership agreements with any Vietnam universities but it is eager to develop new working relationships.

- Advertisement -

“We are very honoured to be selected as one of four Canadian institutions in their study tour,” said Lisa Domae, NIC’s Vice President of Learning and Students. “We look forward to further discussions, connections, and partnerships as a result of this visit.”

The delegation toured NIC’s Remote Web-based Science Lab, classrooms, and trades facilities before a buffet lunch prepared by Professional Cook students in Campbell River.

(Contributed by North Island College)

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -