Comox Valley Drumming and Movement Classes are not your typical drum circle. Are you an experienced musician? Or, are you a beginner? Can you keep a beat or are you hopelessly out of step? It doesn’t matter! This class uses everyday objects to explore percussion and rhythm in a fun and relaxing environment.
Date & Time: Classes start from 7-8 pm every Tuesday from January 7, and run for 10 weeks until March 3rd.
Location: Courtenay Elementary library
Cost: Free (donations accepted)
Who: Open to adults of all musical abilities
This year’s classes will feature a 10-week curriculum.
1. Introduction to percussion techniques – move and play
2. Rhythm and move – your inner pulse and the rhythm
3. Hand drumming techniques – beginner concepts
4. Non-instrument techniques – controlling sound
5. Long and short sounds – contrasting and technique
6. Percussion ensemble – rhythm, move and create
7. Improvisation and composition – we do this every day!
8. Performing with others – listening for spaces
9. Performing with contrast and complementarity – group composition
10. Conducting and performance – leadership and structure
Drop in to find out what the class is all about. If you have your own percussion instruments, please feel free to bring it.
To register, visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/comox-valley-drumming-and-movement-classes-for-adults-tickets-85933380053
Meet your instructor
Beau StockerBeau Stocker is a drum set performer, educator, and researcher who performs regularly in a variety of music genres and teaches as a private tutor, workshop leader, and university lecturer.
His academic research and performance career have existed simultaneously; each fueling the progress of the other.
A current PhD in Music research, University of York – United Kingdom, feeds this performance repertoire through the exploration of drum set sounds fused with rhythmical inspiration from East Africa.
Contact Beau Stocker at [email protected] or look for him on Facebook @ComoxValleyDrumand Movement.