Listen Live

B.C. sending 1,600 overdose prevention kits to post-secondary schools

The British Columbia government is distributing 1,600 naloxone kits to public post-secondary institutions in the province. 

The province said free nasal naloxone is available in designated cabinets across campuses, student health clinics and residence buildings. 

It said the kits are usually located near emergency phones or automated external defibrillators, making life-saving medication quick and easy to access in case of an overdose.

“Every life lost to the toxic-drug crisis is a profound tragedy for our communities, and I expect all public post-secondary institutions to take steps to protect students,” said B.C.’s post-secondary education and future skills minister Jessie Sunner in a statement Thursday.

The initiative is part of the work of the post-secondary overdose steering committee, which was formed in May 2024 to provide guidance to institutions on reducing the risks and harms of the toxic drug crisis.

“At Simon Fraser University, we are proud to work alongside the Province and our post-secondary partners to strengthen overdose prevention and response across our three campuses,” said Dilson Rassier, SFU provost and vice-president academic in a statement. The toxic-drug crisis knows no boundaries and expanding access to nasal naloxone, along with implementing sector-wide guidelines, are vital steps to protect our community.”

“The toxic-drug crisis claims lives across B.C. every day, and university campuses are not immune,” said Thompson Rivers University president and vice-chancellor, Airini. “At TRU, we are acting to change that by ensuring naloxone is within reach, by training our community to respond and by talking openly about substance use and overdose.”

The steering committee was formed after the death of University of Victoria student Sidney McIntyre-Starko January 2024. The 18-year-old was found to have died from an accidental fentanyl exposure in a dorm room.  

An external review by retired Abbotsford police chief Bob Rich found the response to the medical incident was “was not well coordinated or thought out,” despite UVic having harm reduction and response procedures in place. 

McIntyre-Starko’s death prompted calls from her parents and others for improved awareness and training around overdoses and other health emergencies on campuses. 

B.C.’s post-secondary overdose steering committee released new guidelines for public sector institutions in September 2024, including recommendations to improve overdose-response protocols.

UVic also released a new Substance Use Health Strategy ahead of this school year, describing it as a holistic approach that includes “awareness, early intervention, harm
reduction, health-promoting policies and practices, and coordinated response systems.”

Emily Joveski
Emily Joveski
Emily Joveski is the provincial news reporter for Vista Radio, based in Victoria B.C. She has worked in radio for more than a decade, and was previously on the airwaves as a broadcaster for The Canadian Press in Toronto. When she's not at her desk, she might be found exploring Vancouver Island or loitering in a local book store.

Continue Reading

cfcp Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

B.C. receives first payout of $936M in landmark tobacco settlement

British Columbia has received its first payment as part of a major tobacco settlement with provinces, territories and former smokers. 

Trifecta of long weekend action for Comox Valley sports fans

There's no shortage of local action in store to satisfy most Comox Valley sports fans through the long weekend.

handyDART services expanding to statutory holidays in the Comox Valley

More accessible transit options will be available every statutory holiday in the Comox Valley starting this long weekend. 

Crews to begin setting up for 6th Street Bridge construction Tuesday

An important next step for a new active transportation project in Courtenay is scheduled to start after the long weekend. 

B.C. approves expansion at Mount Polley mine

British Columbia has approved an expansion project at the Mount Polley Mine, about 56 kilometres northeast of Williams Lake. 
- Advertisement -