COURTENAY, B.C- Courtenay is for lovers, according to Amazon.
The Canadian arm of the online retail giant issued a news release on Monday, breaking down the most romantic cities in Canada based on sales data.
The annual ranking, which is in its ninth year, was compiled by the comparison of sales data from Jan.1, 2017, to Jan.1, 2018.
According to the company, the item sales being examined were romance novels, (both print and Kindle), relationship books, romantic comedies, jewellery, and “sexual wellness products”.
The examination was conducted on a per capita basis, in cities with more than 80,000 residents.
Courtenay took the fourth spot on the list, coming in behind Whitehorse, Abbotsford, and Victoria, which has taken the number one spot six years in a row. The city was ahead of multiple large communities, such as Fort McMurray, Surrey, and Nanaimo.
Nine of the top ten cities were from Alberta and British Columbia, and one of the bestselling romantic movies was Pretty Woman, with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts.
A full list can be found here;
- Victoria, British Columbia
- Abbotsford, British Columbia
- Whitehorse, Yukon (new)
- Courtenay, British Columbia (new)
- Fort McMurray, Alberta (new)
- Spruce Grove, Alberta (new)
- North Vancouver, British Columbia
- Sherwood Park, Alberta (new)
- Surrey, British Columbia (new)
- Nanaimo, British Columbia
- Lasalle, Quebec (new)
- Waterloo, Ontario
- Prince George, British Columbia
- La Prairie, Quebec (new)
- Grand Prairie, Alberta
- Airdrie, Alberta (new)
- Welland, Ontario (new)
- Vernon, British Columbia (new)
- North Bay, Ontario
- Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (new)