Drug awareness night to be held at Isfeld this month
A substance use awareness night takes place at Isfeld on April 18. Photo courtesy School District 71.
COURTENAY, B.C. – School District 71 is inviting all residents to attend a special presentation at Mark R. Isfeld Secondary later this month.
The event is being put on by the Parent Advisory Council (PAC) on Wednesday, April 18 at 7:00 p.m.
The evening will cover topics around substance use. Some of the talking points will be early warning signs, the facts behind addiction, how substance use affects teenage brain development, fentanyl and the opioid crisis, as well as the legalization of marijuana.
John and Jennifer Hedican will be on hand to present. Their son Ryan, an Isfeld graduate, passed away last year due to fentanyl poisoning.
The following experts will also be in attendance:
- Dr. Charmaine Enns, the North Island Medical Health Officer with Island Health
- Dr. Ramm Hering – Physician Lead, Primary Care Substance Use for Island Health, and Addiction Medicine Specialist
- Dr. Theo Jankowski – Addiction Medicine Fellow with the BC Centre on Substance Use
- Wendy Morin – Youth and Family Substance Use Counsellor – John Howard Society
- Amanda Ridgway – Substance Use Prevention and Early Intervention Coordinator – John Howard Society
The evening will feature a question and answer period for attendees. The event will take place in the gym at Mark R. Isfeld. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
For further details, contact Dr. Ed Howard at (250) 339-9868.