Cougar encounter unconfirmed
COURTENAY, B.C. – There has been an unconfirmed report of a cougar in the area of Powerhouse Road, 1st Street, and Lake Trail Road.
“It is said that the cougar has attacked a dog and also stalked and chased 2 children walking in the area together! Please be safe,” Comox Valley Wildlife Sightings posted on its Facebook page.
However, B.C. Conservation told MyComoxValleyNow.com that it has not received any reports of a conflict with a big cat in the area at this time.
Comox Valley Wildlife Sightings contacted MyComoxValleyNow.com and said “this was a second reporting from a member of our page, we are not aware of any photo having been taken, but felt that even without evidence this was worthy of sharing – to keep the community safe.”
Contact the COS Call Centre at 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) if a cougar poses an immediate threat or danger to public safety.
WildSafeBC offers the following tips if you encounter a cougar.
- Keep calm.
- Make yourself look as large as possible and back away slowly, keeping the cougar in view, and allowing a clear exit for the cougar.
- Pick up children and small pets immediately. Never run or turn your back- sudden movements may provoke an attack.
- If you notice that a cougar that is watching you, maintain eye contact with the cougar and speak to it in a loud firm voice.
- Reinforce the fact that you are a human and not an easy target. Back out of the area and seek assistance or shelter.
- If a cougar shows aggression, or begins following you, respond aggressively in all cases as cougars see you as a meal: keep eye contact, yell and make loud noises, and show your teeth.
- Pick up nearby sticks, rocks, or whatever you have at hand to quickly to use as a weapon if necessary – crouch down as little as possible when picking things up off the ground.
- If the cougar attacks, fight back, focusing on its facial and eye area.
- Use rocks, sticks, bear spray, or personal belongings as weapons. You are trying to convince the cougar that you are a threat, and are not prey.