Chamber Awards a night to remember!
It was a night to remember! Smiles and cheers filled the Florence Filberg Centre for the 40th annual Comox Valley Chamber of Commerce Community Awards. Goat News attended Saturday night’s event and had the chance to speak with some of the evening’s winners.
CanWest Mechanical Inc. offers services in industrial and commercial plumbing, heating, and sheet metal construction projects. They were rewarded for their work with the New Business of the Year award. Here’s one of CanWest’s owners, Erik Bergvinson.
Mary-Ellen Bergvinson, the other owner of CanWest says they’re looking forward to the future.
Level 10 Eurospa in Courtenay had a great year. The spa is a full service salon and day spa. They offer such services as hair design, massages, steam therapy, skin rejuvenation and more. Leanne Boyd is the owner of Level 10, and she was left speechless when her business won the Business of the Year award.
Successful businesses maintain excellent client care and customer appreciation. Alley Cuts in Cumberland certainly does, and for their efforts the salon received the Customer Service award. Owner Darilyn Keene’s been operating Alley Cuts for 31 years but says it’s never for the dollar and she truly loves what she does.
And behind every great community, is a great citizen. The chamber’s Citizen of the Year award recognizes an individual that has made and continues to make valuable contributions to the community. This year, the Chamber did something different. The award was given to not one, but two individuals. One of the recipients, Michele Morton, is quite pleased that she could share the award with Murray Shackel.
Morton’s volunteered with many organizations in the Comox Valley for years, including work with the Strathcona Symphony Orchestra, where she’s served as President for 8 years.
Full list of winners:
- Hollie Wood Oysters (2014 Agricultural Business of the Year)
- Comox Valley Child Development Association (2014 Heritage Recognition Award)
- CanWest Mechanical, Inc. (2014 New Business of the Year)
- Pantuso Dance (2014 Small Business of the Year)
- Allison Mackenzie, Darkside Chocolates (2014 Young Entrepreneur of the Year)
- Maddy Monteiro (2014 Youth Leadership)
- Linda Oprica (2014 Business Leadership)
- Level 10 Eurospa (2014 Business of the Year)
- Michele Morton (2014 Citizen of the Year)
- Murray Shackel (2014 Citizen of the Year)
- Darilyn Keene, Alley Cuts (2014 Customer Service)
- Glacier View Lodge Society (2014 Not-for-Profit)