COURTENAY, B.C – Courtenay fire crews were called to Chances Casino Tuesday afternoon, after reports came in of a gas leak.

The call came in just after 4:00 p.m, and deputy fire chief Kurt Macdonald says the cause of the leak was due to a construction company working in the area.

“A construction company was doing some work in behind Chances Casino and accidentally hit a one inch service line that provides natural gas to the building,” said Macdonald.

He added that crews determined no gas leaked inside the building, and no evacuations were needed.

“Fortunately with the wind direction and location of the strike, none of the natural gas entered into the casino, the post office, or the Washington apartments.”