Listen Live

Courtenay moving forward with plastics ban: Mayor

The City of Courtenay is forging ahead with its ban on single-use plastics.

This despite Victoria losing its battle in the BC Court of Appeal for a similar ban.

The appeal was filed by the Canadian Plastic Bag Association. For a link to the judge’s decision, click here

Last month, Courtenay approved a bylaw which will start phasing out single-use plastics.

The bylaw takes effect on July 1st but won’t be enforced until March 31st of next year.

Mayor Bob Wells said it’s status quo until the city hears anything different.

Wells said the city is looking into how that court decision will impact what happens locally.

“That’s going to unfold in its own way,” he said. “What I can say is that we’ve been pushing hard with our provincial and federal ministries of the environment to have them take the lead on this.”

The mayor noted that there is a federal and provincial framework that the industry can work at the national and provincial levels.

Wells says a big challenge is municipalities enforcing bans that aren’t consistent with one another.

“They’re kind of onesies-twosy,” he said. “So one municipality might be different from another and when you look at the whole province, that makes it really challenging for industry that’s trying to make sure they adhere to the rules of each municipality when that might not be possible.”

Cumberland and Comox are also enforcing bans.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in June that the federal government will ban harmful single-use plastics as early as 2021. 

The Comox Valley Nurses for Health and the Environment also supports a valley-wide ban.

They say single-use bags present an ecological danger because they degrade into microplastics and further leach into soils, groundwater, and the ocean.

Continue Reading

cfcp Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

HAIR AND NOW – MELODY MAKERS – AUGUST 29 2025

August 29, 2025 - Hair and Now: The Melody Makers. Featuring Bon Jovi, Rainbow, Firehouse, Boston and more.

B.C. receives first payout of $936M in landmark tobacco settlement

British Columbia has received its first payment as part of a major tobacco settlement with provinces, territories and former smokers. 

Trifecta of long weekend action for Comox Valley sports fans

There's no shortage of local action in store to satisfy most Comox Valley sports fans through the long weekend.

handyDART services expanding to statutory holidays in the Comox Valley

More accessible transit options will be available every statutory holiday in the Comox Valley starting this long weekend. 

B.C. sending 1,600 overdose prevention kits to post-secondary schools

The British Columbia government is distributing 1,600 naloxone kits to public post-secondary institutions in the province. 
- Advertisement -