An 89-year-old man was a victim of a machete attack early Wednesday morning. (supplied by Bob's Recovery GoFundMe page)
Support is growing for the 89-year-old victim of a machete attack.
The assault happened at 4:15am yesterday morning on the 400-block of 5th Street.
The senior was approached by a man on a bicycle who asked him for a cigarette.
The victim told the man that he did not have any cigarettes before the man assaulted him with what appeared to be a machete.
He is in the hospital with multiple wounds to his face.
A GoFundMe page for the senior had already raised nearly $6,000 and counting in less than nine hours. (Link to the page here)
The page notes that any money raised will help, the man, identified as ‘Bob’, in his “medical recovery both physically and mentally.”
Any extra funds will be donated to a charity of his choice.
“Bob was viciously attacked this morning while delivering local papers in the Comox Valley, something he has done for years after meeting our Grandma,” said Janelle Karatsikis, who is organizing this fundraiser.
“He is undergoing surgery as we speak to see if they can save his eye after multiple slashes to his face from a machete.
“Bob has a heart of gold and is loved by so many, especially our Grandma who he recently lost.”
Meanwhile, the search continues for the attacker.
He is described as possibly in his 20s with a dark complexion and wearing something on his head.
The suspect was also riding a bicycle at the time of the attack.
Media Relations Officer with the Comox Valley RCMP, Monika Terragni says “at this point in the investigation, the attack appears to be completely unprovoked.”
Investigators from the Comox Valley RCMP Major Crime Unit are collecting evidence in the area and will continue with the investigation.
If you have any information on the attack, call the Comox Valley RCMP at (250) 338-1321.
If you wish to remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.