Listen Live
HomeNews‘No discipline’ for skipping school to attend climate strike: superintendent

‘No discipline’ for skipping school to attend climate strike: superintendent

The school district is not encouraging valley students to skip classes so they can attend Friday’s climate strike at Simms Park.

But at the same time, they won’t be punished for doing just that.

Youth Environmental Action has a ‘March for Climate’ event planned for Friday at Simms Millennium Park.

It goes from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.

Organizers are encouraging people to bring signs and reusable water bottles. 

- Advertisement -

“Be prepared to strike for the climate, with increased urgency for the sake of Canada!” the group says on its Facebook page.

In a statement, Comox Valley superintendent of schools Tom Demeo said that “while we are not encouraging students to miss class, we recognize that the climate strike is a way in which students are able to demonstrate their concern and commitment to matters that are important to them and their community.”

Demeo noted that the district will not be preventing students from taking part in the demonstrations, “schools are required to record student attendance and no discipline will be given for participating in this event.”

Meanwhile, Demeo said that “environmental sustainability is recognized as a key priority in our strategic plan and as such we understand the importance of addressing our global climate situation.”

- Advertisement -

“We trust that all our students will engage in meaningful discussions regarding this very important topic with their teachers, their parents and will apprise their families of their intended plan of action,” Demeo added.

Youth Environmental Action says it’s a youth group “dedicated to empowering and educating youth on climate change and how to take action to fight our climate crisis.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -