The RCMP is investigating a fire at the Washington Inn Apartments.
It happened last night at the rental building on Ryan Road.
Courtenay Fire Chief, Don Bardonnex, said fire crews received a report of alarms ringing just after 8:40pm.
“That was upgraded en route to smoke in a structure,” he added. “We arrived with three apparatus, and 21 firefighters.”
Firefighters used the building’s master key to access the second-floor unit and put out a fire in the kitchen.
The building had to be ventilated.
The person living in the unit wasn’t home at the time.
“(There was) no one hurt and everybody else (was) back in the building when we left,” Bardonnex said.
We have reached out to the Comox Valley RCMP for more details.