Some local organizations and non-profits are getting money from the Comox Valley Regional District for their COVID-19 support efforts.
The district’s Board of Directors approved $148,279 to support the homeless and provide food security for marginalized populations in the valley.
Of that, $93,179 will be dedicated to the Comox Valley Community Foundation, the Comox Valley Coalition to End Homelessness and the Community Health Network.
On top of this emergency funding, $55,100 will be given to 12 non-profit groups in the district. The money will be made available through the five Grant-in-Aid services and is funded by a combination of 2020 tax requisition and regional district budget surplus.
The full list of grant in aid recipients includes:
- Denman Community Land Trust Association
- Denman Island Neighbourhood Emergency Preparedness Program Organization
- Denman Island Preschool Society
- Fanny Bay Community Association
- Fanny Bay Seniors Society
- Hornby Island Arts Council
- Hornby Island Daycare Society
- Hornby Island Educational Society
- LUSH Valley Food Action Society
- Royston Community Club and Recreation Commission
- Ships Point Volunteer Firefighters Association
- Union Bay Community Club and Recreation Association
The district says later this month, directors will be considering additional grant funding for other community programs, as this first round of funding is intended to assist with responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.