Traffic fines bolster Valley RCMP resources
Traffic tickets aren’t anything drivers want to find themselves with!
But Courtenay Mayor Larry Jangula says the city has used money from these finds and put them towards something good. Jangula says the city receives over $197,000 from speeding tickets and that they use that money to help out the local RCMP.
Jangula adds other funds go towards other operational equipment for local Mounties.
Council’s also approved of a staff recommendation to maintain the RCMP’s numbers at 30.4 members for the 2015-2016 contract year.
The budget expenditure cap is just shy of $5.5 million. The city of Courtenay covers 90% of that, with the province chipping in the other 10%.