19 Wing Comox boosting spirits with Christmas lights display
Heritage Air Park aircraft were decorated with Christmas lights by 19 Wing Comox volunteers, for the inaugural lighting of the lights in Lazo, British Columbia, on December 1, 2020.Photo taken by MCpl Jay Ekin, Canadian Armed Forces Photo
Covid-19 has put a damper on many people’s spirits this year, but as Christmas approaches, 19 Wing Comox is hoping to raise a little holiday cheer.
It’s decorated the aircraft at the Heritage Air Park for you to enjoy all December long.
The planes and helicopters will be lit up each evening from the time it gets dark to about 9:00 pm.
Each aircraft was “adopted” by a Wing unit or squadron, and decorated by a team of volunteers.
19 Wing Commander, Colonel Dany Poitras says it’s a small thing, but the hope is to bring a smile to the general public and members of the base this holiday season.
“19 Wing Comox created the Comox Air Force Museum’s Heritage Air Park Christmas lights as a way to raise the morale of our members and the morale of our Comox Valley community during the holiday season.”
He is also hopeful, the decorations could be an annual feature at the airpark.
“We look forward to turning the Heritage Air Park Christmas lights into an annual tradition in the Comox Valley and hope that next year, the public will be able to come into the airpark to enjoy the aircraft up close.”
19 Wing is asking you to enjoy the displays from the safety of your car and reminding residents not to venture out for the sake of your health, and of public health.
The aircraft features, as well as the crews who decorated them, can be seen below:
- CF-100 Canuck, decorated by the Comox Air Force Museum.
- CH-113 Labrador, decorated by Deputy Wing Command.
- CC-115 Buffalo, decorated by 442 Transport and Rescue Squadron.
- CF-104 Starfighter, decorated by 19 Air Maintenance Squadron.
- CH-124 Sea King, decorated by 19 Operation Support Squadron.
- CP-107 Argus, decorated by Real Property Operations.
- CP-140 Aurora, decorated by 407 Long Range Patrol Squadron.
- CT-133 (T-33) Silver Star, decorated by the Comox Air Force Museum.
- DC-3 Dakota, decorated by 418 Search and Rescue Operational Training Squadron.
- CP-121 Tracker, decorated by the Deputy Judge Advocate.
- CF-101B Voodoo, decorated by 19 Mission Support Squadron.
- Piasecki H-21, decorated by the Canadian Forces School of Search and Rescue.