Listen Live
HomeNewsNIC Foundation seeking donations for COVID student bursary

NIC Foundation seeking donations for COVID student bursary

North Island College’s ‘COVID-19 Student Hope Campaign’ is back, but the NIC Foundation needs help to reach its $50,000 goal.

The campaign was first launched last year to not only help students cut down on financial barriers caused by the pandemic, but give them hope for a brighter future.

This year, the foundation’s executive director Randall Heidt says they want to support 50 students with a $1,000 bursary each; funds will go towards college tuitions, helping students reach their educational, career and life goals.

“COVID-19 has been difficult for everyone, but it has been especially challenging for some students who were unable to work or save for their education because of the pandemic,” Heidt says.

- Advertisement -

Fortunately, the North Island Students’ Union (NISU) has donated a record $30,000 to the campaign to support students during this important time.

“We are so grateful for NISU’s support and the support of our donors who have helped us raise about $39,000,” adds Heidt. “We are hopeful that community members will be inspired by students supporting students and help us raise the final $11,000. 100 per cent of every donation will directly support a student in need.”

Last year’s bursary applicants included single parents, low-income residents, and disadvantaged youth. Student applications are now being accepted online for 2021; April 27th is the deadline to apply.

To watch inspiring videos from students, or to donate to the ‘COVID-19 Student Hope Campaign,’ visit this website.

- Advertisement -
Photo supplied by: nic.bc.ca
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -