Listen Live
HomeNewsTwo schools open in the Comox Valley

Two schools open in the Comox Valley

Hornby Island has a new school, and Courtenay has a partial replacement, once classes resume today (TUE).

They are Lake Trail Community’s replacement school in Courtenay, and the new Hornby Island Community school.

“I’m thrilled students, staff and families in Courtenay and on Hornby Island get to kick off their new school year in better, larger and safer schools,” said Jennifer Whiteside, Minister of Education. “Our government is committed to supporting students and staff to ensure they have safe, dynamic learning spaces to grow and succeed in for many years to come.”

The province provided $26.2 million toward the partial replacement of Lake Trail Community school. 

- Advertisement -

The Comox Valley Board of Education added $1 million. 

The existing gymnasium remains as part of the upgraded school. 

The replacement school has room for 500 students in Grades 6 to 9. 

The school includes a new standalone child care facility with space for up to 20 children, valued at $1.5 million. 

- Advertisement -

Over on Hornby Island, the province invested $10.4 million for the new Hornby Island Community school, after the previous school building was lost in a fire in August 2018. 

According to the province, the construction was completed nearly a year ahead of initial project timelines, reducing the time students had to spend in modular classrooms.

The new school has capacity for 95 students in kindergarten to Grade 7. 

Comox Valley School Board, Sheila McDonnell, says the two schools are very exciting for our district and the communities it serves. 

- Advertisement -

“They address seismic safety issues and provide state-of-the-art spaces for collaborative, project-based learning. We are so grateful for the funding and the impressive project delivery behind these schools continuing as ‘community hearts,’ engaging and supporting our students, their families and residents,” she added.

Alexandra Lamont, Hornby Island Community school parent advisory committee, thanked the education ministry, School District 71, the teachers and staff, and the Hornby Island community for coming together so quickly “to build this beautiful school that will be loved and appreciated for generations to come.” 

“And a huge shout out to the students,” Lamont said.

“This has been a difficult few years full of challenges, and they have demonstrated incredible resilience and adaptability. The Hornby Island community is very proud of them. Thank you, thank you.”

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -