Death cap mushrooms spotted in Comox
Amanita phalloides, commonly known as the death cap mushroom, has been spotted in Comox.
The mushrooms were found in an area of Filberg Park that is not frequented by residents.
The Town of Comox is reminding people to be cautious, ensure children and pets are kept at a distance, and to avoid ingesting anything you are uncertain of as Amanita phalloides are incredibly poisonous.
More people die from eating Amanita phalloides than any other mushroom.
Ingesting Amanita phalloides can also cause liver and kidney damage, but they look similar to some edible mushrooms from Asia.
More information about death cap mushrooms can be found here.