Cumberland council is laying out a priorities blueprint for the coming year.
“Balancing our existing priorities with emerging matters can be a challenge. Council was able to prioritize some emerging items while staying on track with community priorities established in 2020,” says mayor Leslie Baird.
“I encourage all residents to take a look at the village’s strategic priorities to have an understanding of the overall goals and objectives for the community.”
Key focus areas include:
- Initiatives to address housing affordability and availability
- Protection and enhancement of the natural environment including the carrying capacity of parks and trails
- Opportunities to address climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Development of the child care space creation project in partnership with School District 71
- The creation of an arts, culture and recreation master plan
- Bevan industrial area development
- Commitment to reconciliation with Indigenous peoples and the United Nations
- Declaration of Rights of Indigenous Peoples
The village’s 2020-2023 Strategic Priorities were developed in June 2020.
According to the village, they “communicate the priorities of (the) council and the community.”
The 2020-2023 Strategic Priorities also guide the village’s corporate management and decision-making and allow the coordination of adequate resources.
They can be found by searching ‘strategic’ at cumberland.ca.