Gold River Mayor Brad Unger says efforts are underway to help victims of Saturday morning’s fire in the community.
Unger says two homes were destroyed, and another home may have to be torn down. Three others suffered heat and smoke damage.
Gold River’s volunteer fire department arrived at around 2:30 am and began fighting the fire. It grew to a level that support was called in from the Campbell River Fire Department.
“Neighbours helped out with their garden hoses as much as they could, while others knocked on doors to make sure everyone was out,” said Unger. “Our local Emergency Support Services were contacted right away to help with the residents effected, such as finding accommodations in hotels.”
“It’s so hot and dry,” said Paul Laviolette, who helped put the fire out with a garden hose. “Sometimes you’re just in the right place at the right time. The fire sure changed the look of the neighbourhood.”
A Go Fund Me campaign has been started to help one of the people left homeless by the fire.
In the description, Sarah Bryant says her father-in-law lost everything in the home that he had lived in for 17 years. She also says a family pet was not able to escape the fire. She’s raising money to cover costs like a temporary place to stay, clothes, and food.
If you’re looking to donate, you can do so on their donation page, called “Father who lost everything in a fire.”