Listen Live
HomeNewsComox ValleyMilitary member from Black Creek receives member of the year award

Military member from Black Creek receives member of the year award

A military corporal with roots in Black Creek is the 2022 RCAF Reserve Deserving Junior Non-Commissioned Member of the Year and is giving back to her now community in Yellowknife.

Cpl. Taylor Major has been a part of 440 Transport Squadron since 2015 and is responsible for quality assurance for air readiness and aircraft maintenance on the CC-138 Twin Otters.

Major grew up in Black Creek with no military background or family experience. Because of this, she says she never expected to be where she is today.

A mother of four, she now runs the Yellowknife Young Parents Program outside of her duties. She says is the first of its kind in the north and gives support to pregnant high school students with free programming.

- Advertisement -

It is a cause that hits home for Major, after being in a similar situation herself.

“I had my first daughter when I was 17 and I wouldn’t have graduated high school if this program didn’t exist for me. I graduated on time with my class,” said Major.

Outside of the program, she also started a board that runs weekly and fundraises for daycare for young parents who are also students.

The RCAF says Major is very capable and eager, and grateful for opportunities that come her, and that led to her nomination for the award.

- Advertisement -

“Cpl. Major’s exemplary professionalism, Squadron and community involvement and academic advancement reflect favourably upon herself, 440 Transport Sqn, Team North and the Canadian Armed Forces,” said the RCAF in a statement.

“She continues to be an inspiration to others and personifies the vision of what we desire in a CAF member.”

Major adds she is looking forward to continuing to give back and participate in running races in the future.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -