Listen Live
HomeNewsComox ValleyNorth Island College student housing construction gets underway

North Island College student housing construction gets underway

As the cost of living continues to rise, North Island College says as many 217 students could have housing as construction gets underway.

The college announced on Tuesday that the first steps are now underway, which involves installing new fencing and rerouting walking paths for safety.

They add traffic control personnel may be in place from time to time and cause some delays on campus, and section of parking lot B will be designated for construction workers.

Construction is starting after the site was blessed by the K’ómoks First Nation in January, and the college says the Nation was involved in much of the design and site selection.

- Advertisement -

The two buildings will provide 157 beds in a large building for students and 60 in a smaller building for students with families, according to the college. They add studies found 53 per cent of students come from within the NIC region, but outside of the Comox Valley.

Another 49 per cent rent, 62 per cent have a hard time finding accommodation and 74 per cent say they would live in on-campus housing, according to the college.

The project is expected to be finished and ready for opening for September 2025, and is part of a $77.2 million project from the province to bring 8,000 beds for students by 2028.

“Our government recognizes how important access to housing is for all students and how integral it is to their post-secondary experience,” said minister of post-secondary education and future skills Selina Robinson.

- Advertisement -

“That’s why we are happy to support this student housing development, which will incorporate many Indigenous design elements, and will be a welcome and accessible space for students, including those with families.”

More information about project progress can be found here. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -