In recognition of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, local government offices will be closed to mark the day.
The Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) says their own offices and offices in the Town of Comox, City of Courtenay and Village of Cumberland will be closed.
The following centres will be closed on Sept. 30:
- City of Courtenay City Hall
- Comox Community Centre
- Comox Town Hall
- Comox Valley Aquatic Centre
- Comox Valley Regional District Office
- Comox Valley Sports Centre
- Comox Valley Waste Management Centre (landfill)
- Courtenay Recreation Lewis Centre
- Village of Cumberland Office
- Village of Cumberland Recreation Centre
“Sept. 30 is a day for the Comox Valley community to learn about the history and traumatic legacy of residential schools in Canada, including seven schools on Vancouver Island,” said the CVRD in a release.
The CVRD adds that leading up to Friday and throughout the year, the four local governments will provide staff learning opportunities about the harmful effects of residential schools. Staff are also encouraged to take individual learning paths.
They are also encouraged to participate in local activities that acknowledge the lives of the children who did not come home.