â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsComox ValleyNIC student housing construction begins

NIC student housing construction begins

Construction has begun at the NIC Comox Valley campus to provide housing for over 200 students.

The announcement from the province means two buildings are being built. They will provide 217 student beds, including 157 beds in one building and 60 beds for students with families.

According to the province, sitting next to the Comox Valley Aquatic Centre, the buildings are close to child care, restaurants, public schools, health services, businesses and other amenities.

They add the K’ómoks First Nation, Indigenous Education Council at the college and the college have worked together on the project from concept to selection and design. The Nation blessed the site in January.

- Advertisement -

Over $68 million was provided by the government to support the $77 million project, and it’s expected to be done by summer 2025.

Housing minister Ravi Kahlon adds it will help more students live closer to their needs.

“These new homes will help more students live affordable close to campus, freeing up valuable rental housing for other people living in the north Island community,” said Kahlon.

“B.C. is a leader in mass timber innovation and we are committed to exploring its uses to deliver new affordable housing British Columbians need, while also combating climate change through a reduced carbon footprint.”

- Advertisement -

Courtenay-Comox MLA Ronna-Rae Leonard adds that the housing will alleviate some of the pressure on the local housing market.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -